Grilled Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are the perfect summer-time snack or game day appetizer! Fresh jalapenos are stuffed with a mixture of cheeses and seasoning and wrapped in smoky bacon and cooked on the barbecue until tender.
The cheese becomes perfectly melty, the peppers tender and the bacon crisp and smoky for the most amazing bite.
I absolutely adore stuffed jalapeno poppers in any way, shape, or form including Jalapeno Popper Dip to Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Burgers. And of course what doesn’t taste amazing wrapped in bacon? I could pretty much eat these bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers at any meal and I especially love this version using fresh jalapenos and bacon. It just so happens that skipping the breading makes these into a low carb/keto jalapeno popper!
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
When cutting several jalapenos, please please please wear gloves. The oils in the peppers can really affect (and burn) your skin if you’re cutting several peppers.
Control the spice level: To reduce the heat from jalapenos (and other spicy peppers), be sure to remove all of the seeds and membranes as that’s where the capsaicin is contained (which is what makes them spicy). You can use any peppers in this recipe including sweet baby red & yellow peppers if you don’t like spice or would like to have another option for those that don’t eat spicy foods.
Bacon: I slightly pre-cook the bacon. This extra step is great for grilling because it helps reduce flare ups (more on reducing flare ups below) and it always results in a crisper bacon without overcooking the peppers.
How to Cook Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers: We most often cook these on the grill in the summer, and while you can cook them directly on the grill, a grill mat helps reduce flare ups! I use grill mats for so many things from burgers and veggies to Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. They reduce flare ups, keep things from slipping through the grates and clean up like a dream.
To grill cream cheese jalapeno poppers from frozen, we turn the grill down and cook them low and slow to ensure the middle heats & melts.
Baked Bacon Wrapped Poppers: In the winter, we bake this stuffed jalapeno poppers recipe in the oven. Preheat to 425 degrees, place on a parchment lined pan and bake about 18-23 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted. Broil 1 minute at the end if needed. So easy!
Can you Freeze Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers?
Absolutely!! Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are the perfect snack to have on hand for unexpected guests. I often make a couple of large trays and freeze them (before cooking). Once frozen I move them to a sealed container (or freezer bag) and store them for a few months.
When guests pop by, pour a pitcher of mojitos, heat up the grill and throw these on right from frozen. The perfect summer snack!
Need More amazing Jalapeno recipes?
Here are some of my other favorite recipes with a spicy kick of jalapenos:
- Jalapeno Popper Dip: This has been the a top on my blog for years and years (and is my daughter’s favorite recipe on the whole site).
- Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Ball Recipe: This cheeseball is the perfect make ahead snack and everyone always loves it!
- Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken Breasts: Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers make a great snack… but in this recipe you can enjoy them as a complete meal!
- Jalapeno Popper Crescent Cups: Flaky crescent cups filled with creamy spicy popper dip!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Delicious jalapenos stuffed with a gooey cheesy filling and wrapped in bacon! These are grilled until the bacon crisps and the cheese melts .. and are out of this world!
- 6 whole jalapeno peppers
- 6 oz cream cheese (the block, not the spreadable)
- 1 green onion (finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 oz sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 12 slices bacon
- Cut the stem off each jalapeno and cut in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out seeds & membranes.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, green onion, garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Stuff into the jalapeno halves.
- Wrap each jalapeno completely with bacon ensuring the cheese is covered. Secure with toothpicks.
Place jalapenos on grill cut side down and grill just until bacon begins to crisp (about 6 minutes). Gently loosen bacon from the grill and flip jalapenos over. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook an additional 10-12 minutes or until bacon is cooked and cheese is melted.
Preheat to 425 degrees, place on a parchment lined pan and bake about 18-23 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted.