Baked Brie is one of those yummy appetizers that cheese lovers rave about, and for good reason. A wheel of buttery brie oozing out of its rind under a nutty cranberry topping is a mouthwatering sight to behold.
Easy party appetizers are one of my favorite parts of the holiday season! From bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers to buffalo cauliflower I can’t get enough. And this recipe takes literally a minute to prep before popping in the oven, so I can enjoy it anytime!
What is Baked Brie?
Baked brie is made from an uncut wheel of brie with the rind intact. When baked, the edible rind keeps its pleasant texture, while the interior melts into a spreadable, delicious gooey cheese. Brie’s savory funkiness really blooms with heat.
The rind is actually a bloom of the cheese culture that gives brie its characteristic flavor. It develops on the outside of the wheel as the cheese ripens.
During the holiday, consider keeping a couple of wheels in your fridge. They will make for an awesome spur-of-the-moment snack to offer pop-in guests and prove to them that yes, they are truly welcome!
How to Make Baked Brie
It’s hard to imagine that such a delicious party snack could be so simple. Cleanup is a breeze too.
- Top brie wheel with nuts, cranberry sauce, and syrup.
- Bake per recipe below until heated through.
- For even baking, bring the brie to room temperature beforehand.
- Allow the brie to cool slightly before breaking into it. If it’s too hot, the cheese will be too melty and gush everywhere.
- If your brie starts to harden, place it in a small casserole dish (with sides as the cheese will leak/melt) and reheat in the oven or microwave.
There are so many variations on toppings for baked brie. Really, the sky is the limit. The best ones are sticky-sweet and nutty. Here are a few popular options for toppings:
- Jams, marmalades or compotes
- Caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar
- Honey with chopped walnuts
- Sundried tomatoes, olive oil, pine nuts and fresh basil
- Homemade Apple Pie filling and nuts
What to Serve with Baked Brie
It can be slathered on crostini or crackers for rich and crunchy flavor bites. And talk about easy!
A cut fresh fruit platter or kabobs are always appropriate to serve with baked brie. Grapes, pineapple chunks and melon are some of my favorite cheese companions.
A bit of sparkling wine, some holiday music, and you and your baked brie will make the season merry and bright indeed!
Great Holiday Appetizers
- Taco Cheese Ball Recipe – simple & addictive appetizer!
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip – easy cheesy & delicious
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers – baked or grilled!
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms – great for parties!
- Bacon Wrapped Dates – Salty, sweet and delicious
Great party appetizer that is both fancy feeling and delicious!
- 1 wheel brie (8-12 oz)
- 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce (or preserves)
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
Spread cranberry sauce over brie, combine pecans and maple syrup and spread on top.
Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 14-17 minutes or until cheese is starting to melt. Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
Leftover cranberry sauce is perfect in this recipe. Homemade is best of course and can easily be frozen and saved to use in this recipe.