CrockPot Potato Soup is very easy to prep and your whole family will love it. A creamy potato base is flavored with onion, bacon and cheese.
How to Make Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Making potato soup in the crock pot is easy to do. A quick overview of this recipe:
- Cook bacon until crispy.
- Add (raw) potatoes and other ingredients to the slow cooker. Set it and forget it!
- When potatoes are tender, mash a bit to thicken and add a splash of cream.
Serve and enjoy with green onions, cheese and extra bacon as a garnish!
Potato Soup Consistency
To Make it Thicker There many methods to thicken soups but really, mashing or pureeing part of the soup works the best. With this method you are using the soup ingredients themselves to create a creamier base.
- (Easiest Method) Use a potato masher. You’ll definitely want this soup to have some texture, so go easy!
- Use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker.
- Put part of the soup into a blender (be sure not to seal the lid so the steam can escape).
- You could also add a sprinkle (or two) of instant potato flakes.
To Make Potato Soup Thinner If you’ve over-mashed a little or are finding your soup too thick, add a bit more broth, cream or even milk.
Reheating Potato Soup
CrockPot Potato Soup will taste just as good the next day and reheats beautifully. It should last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Stovetop Heat soup over medium heat until hot (do not boil). Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.
Microwave Microwave soup until hot stirring every 30-40 seconds. Top with extra cheese, bacon crumbles, a sprinkle of chili flakes… yum!
Oven Pour soup into a casserole dish (who knew?), add cheese as topping, and bake in the oven on 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes. Top with croutons and dinner is served!
Can Potato Soup Be Frozen?
Yes (and no). Potatoes don’t generally freeze well as they tend to fall apart.
Since the potatoes in this soup are mashed, it’s ok to freeze. The texture may change very slightly but it’ll still taste great! Do not add the dairy before freezing, stir in the cream/sour cream while reheating.
More Favorite Soups
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – healthy
- Sweet Potato Soup
- CrockPot Lasagna Soup – kid approved
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Tortilla Soup – so much fun
- Baked Potato Soup
- 15 Bean Slow Cooker Chili – our favorite
CrockPot Potato Soup
Slow cooked creamy potato soup garnished with bacon and cheddar cheese.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (peeled and 1-inch diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves removed from stem, or 1/2 tsp dry )
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 green onions (green tops sliced thinly)
Cook bacon until crispy over medium-high heat. Remove from the pan and chop.
In a 6-quart slow cooker add potatoes, garlic, thyme leaves, onion, black pepper, and bacon (reserve a little bit of bacon for garnish).
- Pour chicken stock into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours (or 6-8 hours on low) or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
When the potatoes are soft use a potato masher to mash some of the potatoes in the slow cooker. The more you mash, the thicker the soup.
Add cheddar cheese, sour cream, and heavy cream to the mixture. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid back on the slow cooker and let the soup warm through on high, about 30 minutes. Stir the soup a few times while it’s warming up.
- Serve the soup topped with green onions.
Heavy cream can be replaced with evaporated milk.
Ham can be added in place of bacon in this recipe.
Add any cheeses you like, parmesan and gruyere are great choices!