This Chicken Alfredo Bake is make-ahead friendly and perfect for busy weeknights. Made with pasta, a creamy Alfredo sauce, and chicken breasts, this baked pasta dish is perfect for the freezer too!
Having Lasagna, Spaghetti Casserole, or a dish of Chicken Alfredo Pasta in the freezer to simply pop in the oven when we’re short on time is a lifesaver. The whole family loves it and the leftovers are great for lunches!
How to Make Chicken Alfredo
We love easy pasta recipes like this Chicken Alfredo Bake for a number of reasons. Although it can seem like a little more prep may be required with pasta bakes, it pays off in the end when you have a hearty meal in the fridge or freezer and almost no dinner time clean up.
- Chicken: This recipe calls for cooked, chopped chicken and is great for using up leftovers from a whole chicken or shredded chicken. If you don’t have any leftover, simply make some baked chicken breasts and chop them up.
- Pasta: Cook in boiling, salted water until al dente. Don’t overcook the pasta as it will cook further in the oven! Use any short cut of pasta you like, and white or whole grain will both work just as well.
- Sauce: This chicken Alfredo recipe includes a homemade sauce. Let me say that Chicken Alfredo sauce from scratch is definitely worth the extra time! However, if you’re short on time and need to cut something out, use a store bought Alfredo sauce and skip this step, with zero guilt!
- Combine: Stir it together and refrigerate, freeze, or bake.
Prep is done and you decide when to serve the chicken Alfredo!
Can I Freeze Chicken Alfredo?
You can store it in the fridge for 2-3 days, in the freezer for 3 months, or you can bake and enjoy right away. There are a few secrets to freezing this Chicken Alfredo Bake, but it can be done and it can be done well!
- Don’t overcook your pasta: As it freezes, thaws, and is baked, the pasta will become softer. If freezing this casserole, undercook pasta by 1 or 2 minutes.
- Use higher fat dairy: High fat dairy suffers less from separation after freezing. So opt for whole milk in the sauce instead of low fat.
- Seal well: Cover the chicken Alfredo with plastic wrap and foil as it helps to create a good seal and prevents freezer burn. Or store in an airtight container.
- To bake: For best results, thaw the chicken Alfredo casserole at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator before baking. It can be baked right from frozen, but the pasta can become even softer as it requires a longer bake time from frozen.
What to Serve With Chicken Alfredo
The best part of this baked chicken Alfredo recipe is that it is perfect on it’s own. But you can never go wrong with a slice of homemade garlic bread and a delicious side of caesar salad! Don’t forget to make an easy strawberry shortcake for dessert!
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Crockpot Chicken and Noodles – so easy & so creamy!
- Baked Mac and Cheese – favorite comfort food
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – belly warming casserole!
- Baked Ziti – easy weeknight meal!
- Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts – quick and SO easy
Chicken Alfredo Bake
Made with pasta, homemade Alfredo sauce, and chicken breasts. It's make ahead and freezer friendly, so it's perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1 pound chicken (cooked & chopped (about 3 breasts))
- 5 cups short pasta (about 12 ounces (340 grams), cooked al dente)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk (1-2%)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a 9×13″ baking dish or two 8×8″ baking dishes, place chicken and pasta. Set cheese aside for topping.
Make the Alfredo Sauce:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the flour until absorbed, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and cream until combined and smooth. Stir in the salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- Pour over pasta and chicken in baking dish and top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
Follow directions in post above to store for later, or cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly, then broil to brown the cheese if desired. Serve.