Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is an easy spin on a classic Italian recipe. Tender bone in chicken, peppers, mushrooms and onions are simmered in a rich tomato sauce.
Serve this favorite over long pasta for a comforting, belly warming meal!
Whether you make it bone in or with potatoes, this spicy and hearty stew is just the ticket for any crowd! And the leftovers? To ‘dine’ for. All you need is some garlic bread
What’s in Chicken Cacciatore?
Cacciatore means, ‘hunter’ in Italian, but in Italian cooking, ‘alla cacciatora’ means braised meat cooked with onions, herbs, bell peppers, and maybe a splash of red wine to deepen the flavors.
In the old country, cacciatore is made with rabbits, but here in North America, chicken is the preferred protein! Choose dark-meat bone in chicken for the most tender results (thighs and drumsticks).
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore in Slow Cooker
- Brown chicken and place in the bottom of a slow cooker with the veggies.
- Pour sauce ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Finally, remove the lid and let the stew cook until it is thickened a little more. Serve over pasta.
Serve this Dish With…
Slow cooker and stovetop chicken cacciatore are definitely a complete meal in themselves!
Slow Cooker Chicken Dinners
- Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo – seriously easy
- Slow Cooker Chicken a la King – classic
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy – dinner is served!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup – a great freezer meal
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken – my daughter’s favorite
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Whether you make it bone-in or with potatoes, this spicy and hearty stew is just the ticket for any crowd!
- 6-8 bone-in chicken thighs
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper (cored, seeded and diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded and diced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives (drained and pitted, or 1 1/2 tablespoons capers)
Season chicken with salt & pepper and cook over medium heat until skin is browned, about 3-4 minutes.
Top the chicken with diced bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, and garlic.
Combine remaining ingredients (except olives) and pour over the vegetables.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
After 4 hours carefully remove the chicken, add olives (or capers) and stir to combine the sauce.
- Serve the chicken over pasta with the sauce from the slow cooker.
Optional: After removing the chicken from the slow cooker, place under the broiler to crisp the skin before serving.
To thicken sauce, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Add to sauce a little bit at a time and stir to combine. You may or may not need the cornstarch depending on how much liquid your veggies and chicken release.