Sausage Breakfast Casserole is loaded with sausage, peppers, cheese and Italian seasoning is one my favorite make ahead breakfasts! The best part is this recipe is made ahead of time (overnight even) so it’s the perfect dish for a holiday morning or when you have guests!
Serve this breakfast casserole recipe with a fresh fruit salad and mimosas for the perfect brunch!
A Holiday Favorite
I love a good savory breakfast and this sausage breakfast casserole is definitely at the top of my list! My Mom has made bacon breakfast casserole on Christmas morning for as long as I can remember. It’s truly one of my absolute favorite things I eat at Christmas time.
Over the years, I’ve enjoyed countless overnight casseroles (both in the oven and even an easy Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole). I do have to admit, I think this sausage breakfast casserole might be my favorite yet, I just wish you could taste it through the screen. It’s so deliciously easy and savory.
Loaded with sausage and cheese, this overnight casserole recipe is perfect for holidays, weekends and even for overnight guests.
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
This overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole is very simple to make! Bread cubes, chopped peppers and cooked sausage are placed in a casserole dish. The whole thing is topped with a simple egg mixture and of course cheese. Once prepared, this recipe goes into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (overnight is best) to set. This allows the bread cubes to soak up the egg mixture. In the morning just bake and serve!
I love adding Italian sausage to this recipe along with fresh red and green peppers because the sausage has so much flavor!
This quick and easy casserole recipe can be made the night before for a worry-free weekend breakfast (or prep in the morning to bake for dinner after a long day).
Substituting Bread With Hashbrowns
While I much prefer the consistency of this dish using bread cubes, you can certainly make this casserole without bread and replace it with hashbrowns.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this dish reheats really well and freezes perfectly.
More Easy Egg Dishes You’ll Love
- Corned Beef Hash (video)
- Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe
- BLT Avocado Egg Salad – Reader favorite!!
- Easy Quiche Recipe – Easy Brunch recipe!
- Dill Pickle Deviled Eggs
- Make Ahead Egg Muffins – Breakfast on the go!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole with sausage, peppers, cheese and Italian seasoning is one my favorite make ahead breakfasts!
- 14 slices bread (crust removed, cubed and dried (see note))
- 1 package Johnsonville Naturals Italian Sausage
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- ½ red bell pepper (finely diced)
- ½ green bell pepper (finely diced)
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- pepper to taste
- Remove casing from sausage and cook over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Layer ½ of the cubes in a greased 9×13 pan. Top with ½ of each the sausage, green onions, peppers, and cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Combine eggs, milk, & seasonings Pour egg mixture over bread ensuring all of the bread has been covered. Refrigerate overnight (or at least 3 hours).
- Remove from fridge and place in the oven while preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered with foil 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (If you are baking 2 pans increase cooking time will need to increase).
Allow bread to dry overnight or dry slightly in the oven oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes to dry slightly. (Do not brown or toast it).
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.