This Pasta Fagioli recipe is a hearty classic Italian soup that’s comforting, and takes less than an hour! It’s filled with veggies and spicy sausage meat cooked in a hearty and rich tomato broth.
There is nothing more comforting and soul-warming than Pasta e Fagioli!
In this easy homemade soup recipe, two types of beans have been added for extra protein and creaminess. Lots of dried herbs make the broth for this easy Pasta Fagioli recipe irresistibly flavorful.
What is Pasta Fagioli?
Pasta e Fagioli means “pasta and beans.” A traditional Italian pasta fagioli recipe is a classic dish, made with easy to find, affordable ingredients.
Minestrone Soup vs. Pasta e Fagioli Soup
The main difference between minestrone and pasta e fagioli is the varation of vegetables in minestrone. Fagioli is mainly pasta and beans in a broth (I add a few veggies like celery & onion for extra flavor).
How To Make Pasta Fagioli
I make a lot of amazing soup recipes and this flavorful one, tops our list! it’s easy, delicious and hearty (and we think it’s even better than the Olive Garden Fagioli recipe)!
- Brown sausage and onions.
- Add in Remaining ingredients except pasta and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cook pasta until al dente.
- Stir pasta into the soup, and serve with your favorite toppings.
This recipe converts to slow cooker super easily! Just follow these steps:
- Brown sausage and add to a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients, except for the pasta.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- 20 minutes before the time is up, stir in cooked pasta.
You can make a vegetarian Pasta Fagioli soup recipe by skipping the sausage, and you can also use whole wheat pasta for an extra nutritious kick!
Can You Freeze Pasta Fagioli Soup?
If you intend to freeze this soup, make sure the veggies are still crunchy, otherwise, they will retain their crunchiness after defrosting/reheating the soup.
- Cool soup completely before packaging it for freezing.
- Add soup to a gallon or quart-size zip-top plastic freezer bags.
- Lay bags flat in a single layer in the freezer, when frozen, stack bags to save space.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
More Satisfying Soups
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Potato and Sausage Soup
- Easy Hamburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup
Pasta Fagioli Soup
Pasta Fagioli Soup, also known as Pasta e Fagioli Soup, recipe is a classic Italian soup. Hearty, comforting and delicious, ready in less than one hour.
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Chopped fresh parsley
Place a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add ground Italian sausage and cook without moving for about one minute. Crumble it using a wooden spoon and continue cooking until browned about 3-5 minutes. If needed, drain excess fat.
- Push cooked sausage to one side of the pot, so it covers only half of the bottom of the pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic to the other half and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender.
- Stir to combine the browned sausage with the onion and garlic.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir and cook until tender, for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add dried basil, dried Italian seasoning, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Stir to combine.
Add tomato sauce, chicken broth and drained and rinsed beans. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If needed, add more water, one cup at a time.
- In the meantime, add water a large pot over medium-high heat, season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well, toss with a bit of olive oil and set aside.
Once vegetables are tender, stir in pasta until heated through.
Garnish with parsley if desired, and serve immediately.
More Cozy Soups
- Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup
- One Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- Easy Lentil Soup
- Pork Stew
- Homemade Wor Won Ton Soup