Unstuffed Peppers have all of the flavors of our favorite stuffed peppers but this casserole is quick to make in just one pan!
A zesty rice and sausage skillet filled with sweet bell peppers is on the table in no time at all!
Unstuffed peppers have all of the flavors of our favorite stuffed peppers recipe but needs just one pot! Top with cheese and serve this easy dish casserole style.
Easy One-Pot Meal
Who doesn’t love an entire entrée that can be prepared in one pan? We love all the healthy ways unstuffed peppers can be made. No meat? No problem! We like unstuffed peppers made with cauliflower rice for a low-carb, keto version, quinoa for a high protein version, or brown rice for a super high-fiber version. Just adjust cooking times as necessary.
Ingredients and Variations
Unstuffed peppers are not only super easy to make, but almost anything can be tossed into the skillet along with the original ingredients or subbed out with other ingredients.
VEGGIES: Add mushrooms, diced zucchini or other squash, frozen veggies.
PROTEIN: Sausage adds lots of flavor but you can substitute it for ground beef, or for a lower fat version, switch out the sausage for ground turkey or even leftover shredded chicken.
How to Make Unstuffed Peppers
This dish is so easy to make, but so tasty and filling everyone will want seconds!
- BROWN MEAT
Brown the sausage, onion, & garlic, drain fat.
- COOK RICE
Add tomatoes, rice, water, seasonings, salt, & pepper. Simmer until thickened.
- SIMMER PEPPERS
Add diced bell peppers & continue to cook until rice is tender.
That’s all there is to it. Remove from heat, top with cheese & cover until cheese is melted (or pop it under the broiler if you’d like)!
Tips and Tricks
- For extra flavor and texture, place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese topping gets golden brown and bubbly.
- If subbing the rice out for cauliflower rice, quinoa, or brown rice, adjust the cooking time as necessary.
- Store unstuffed peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- It’s easy to freeze! Scoop into zippered bags, label with the date and store for up to two months in the freezer.
More Bell Pepper Favorites
- Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole – family fave
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Pepper Steak
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Sausage and Peppers
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Stuffed Peppers – Classic recipe
Did you love these Unstuffed Peppers? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes canned
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- ½ cup long-grain white rice uncooked
- 1 ⅔ cup water or as needed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 bell peppers any color, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large pan, brown sausage, onion & garlic over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add tomatoes, rice, water, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in diced peppers and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir and add cheese on top. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and rest 10 minutes before serving.