This Instant Pot Potato Soup recipe is easy and comforting! Tender chunks of potatoes in a creamy broth flavored with smoky bacon and sweet onion.
What Potatoes to Use
Russets a great choice for soups as they are nice and starchy to create just the right consistency.
Yukon gold or even red potatoes will work in this recipe too.
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
The flavors of this soup aren’t so different from baked potato soup, but the cooking method is.
- Crisp the bacon (right in the Instant Pot) and then cook the onion in a bit of the fat.
- Add broth and scrape any bits from the bottom of the IP (so you don’t get a burn notice).
- Add potatoes and let the IP work it’s magic.
- Once the soup is cooked, smash a few of the potatoes, add a bit of cream/milk and thicken with cornstarch.
Voila! Dinner’s ready! Top it with bacon, cheese, onions… whatever you like!
What to Serve With Potato Soup
Potato soup is a full comforting meal on its own!
Keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. Sadly, this soup doesn’t freeze well.
More Instant Pot Faves
- Instant Pot Ham & Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Broth (or Turkey)
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Instant Pot Potato Soup
This easy Instant Pot potato soup is loaded with bacon, cheese, and other delicious ingredients to make a creamy, delicious, and fast soup!
- 6 slices bacon (diced)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 sprigs thyme (leaves removed from stem)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (peeled and 1/2 inch diced)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups half and half (divided)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 green onions (green tops thinly sliced)
Turn a 6QT Instant Pot onto the saute setting. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon leaving the drippings in the pot.
Add onion, garlic, thyme, and black pepper. Stir and saute for 5 minutes to soften the onions.
Add chicken stock and scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot (this will avoid a burn notice). Add the potatoes to the pot.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 8 minutes. When the timer goes off turn the steam valve to quick release. Remove the lid and stir the soup.
- Pour in 1 cup of the half and half and stir to combine.
In a small bowl whisk together cold milk and cornstarch. Pour into the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Set the Instant Pot to the saute setting and cook the soup until it starts to thicken.
If the soup is thicker than you like add the reserved 1/2 cup half and half. Some of the potatoes can be slightly mashed for a thicker consistency.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and serve topped with crispy bacon and sliced green onions.
Half and half can be replaced with milk however the soup will not be quite as creamy.
Option: Stir in 1 cup sharp cheddar before serving (do not boil cheese, it may separate).
More Delicious Potato Based Soups
- Baked Potato Soup – stove top favorite
- Creamy Potato Soup – seriously creamy
- Creamy Asparagus Soup – our favorite!
- Potato Leek Soup – great for an appetizer course
- Easy Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup – so easy