These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and loaded with chocolate!
Oatmeal cookies are soft, chewy and delicious — perfect when you need a quick snack or a bite of something sweet. These Chewy Oatmeal Cookies, Oatmeal Creme Pies and these Healthy Oatmeal Apple Raisin Cookies are more you’ll love!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
I love all kinds of oatmeal cookies, but I know that for most people, chocolate wins over raisins!
I’m a little picky about oatmeal cookies.
They have to be crispy on the edges and chewy through the middle. Never too thick or fluffy!
These cookies are thick enough that they won’t break, but thin enough that they’re not cakey.
And since we can control the texture further by flattening our cookie dough balls (for thinner, chewier cookies) or leaving them tall, they really are the perfect cookie for everyone.
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies have a great base that you can use with lots of different add ins, and I’ve included a list below so you can mix and match.
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Start with room temperature butter — you don’t want it too cold or too warm! Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and incorporated.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add all of the dry ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and mix it up.
- Add in your chips and stir well.
- Bake — I don’t chill my dough before baking, since I like thinner, chewy cookies with crispy edges, but you could! I like to press my cookies down slightly so they don’t turn out too thick.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before removing from the baking sheet. This way, they won’t fall apart and will continue to set up!
Variations On These Oatmeal Cookies:
- Swap the chocolate chips for raisins, or include both!
- Swap the chocolate chips for butterscotch, peanut butter, white chocolate, or any other kind of chip your heart desires.
- Add in white chocolate chips and dried cranberries
- Add in 1/4 cup of toasted coconut
- Add in 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon for some warmth
More of Our Favorite Cookie Recipes!
- These Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies are one of our favorite ways to mix it up!
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies are delicious and perfect when you need something quick!
- These M&M Cookies are some of our kids favorites
- Buttery Lemon Shortbread Cookies with a Glaze are great any time of the year!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups large rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir with an electric mixer or by hand until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls (if you’re using a cookie scoop, you’ll want to use a 2 or 3 TBSP scoop) onto parchment paper 2-3 inches apart (I do 9 per pan). If you like thinner, chewier cookies, press down slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 9-10 minutes, until the edges are beginning to brown and the centers are almost set (a tiny bit of glossiness in the center is good, as they will continue to set).
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.