Corn Pudding is a classic comfort dish and a standard in many Southern kitchens (and in my kitchen too). This easy recipe resembles corn casserole or cornbread pudding but is a sweeter and richer custard-like casserole.
Corn pudding is especially delicious with honey baked ham or a turkey dinner, or any time you want to add a little sweetness to your table!
What is Corn Pudding?
Homemade corn pudding is a favorite side dish with delicious corn flavor of course. Made with only a few ingredients, mainly frozen and creamed corn, it is a moist, custard-like casserole.
- Creamed Corn – Creamed corn is really not optional (and is different than homemade creamed corn).
- Corn Kernels – You can use either canned or frozen corn kernels (or fresh corn on the cob if you have it).
- Corn Starch – Corn starch and a small amount of cracker crumbs help thicken the mixture. If you don’t have crackers, you can also dry out a slice of white bread and blend it into crumbs instead.
How to Make Corn Pudding
Start by buttering a casserole dish and preheating your oven. Then follow these simple steps to make this easy side dish:
- Thaw the corn kernels if using frozen, and melt butter in a microwave
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl and stir in all ingredients.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish, cover and bake!
Can I Make Corn Pudding Ahead of Time?
Corn pudding is such a great dish to bring to pot luck dinners. Since it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to two months, we like to double the recipe! That way we’ll have something to contribute at a moment’s notice.
- To Freeze: Just mix all the ingredients and either pre-bake or freeze the batter in a foil pan or your casserole baking dish. When hardened, transfer the frozen block to a large zip lock freezer bag so you don’t tie up your casserole dish.
- To Bake: When ready to bake, or re-heat just slip it back in the dish, and add about 30-45 minutes to your cooking time, or until it is thoroughly baked through or re-heated and piping hot.
When it comes to tasty no-fail side dishes, corn pudding is always welcome at any table.
More Tasty Side Dishes:
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe – light, tender and moist!
- Corn Casserole – Easy!
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – everyone’s favorite side.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – sweet and nutritional powerhouse.
- Turkey Stuffing Recipe – easy to make ahead!
Corn pudding, with its moist custard-like consistency, is a classic comfort dish.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (whole)
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 30 ounces creamed corn ((2 15 ounce cans))
- 15 ounces corn (drained)
- 1 Tablespoon chives (fresh, minced)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8×11 dish (or a 2qt baking dish).
In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk.
Whisk cornstarch and cold milk separatley, add to egg mixture. Add melted butter and brown sugar.
Stir in creamed corn, can of drained corn & fresh minced chives.
Pour mixture into casserole dish and bake for 1 hour or until set.