Learn the trick to how to make banana bread moist and delicious. With very few ingredients and only a few minutes of prep, this simple banana bread is the perfect way to enjoy your ripe bananas!
A Favorite Quick Bread
This banana bread recipe is so quick and easy to prepare,perfect for busy households! It makes a most delicious afternoon snack for hungry kids after school or enjoy banana bread for breakfast paired with a warm mug of coffee!
It’s incredibly moist and easy to make. You likely have everything you need for this recipe!
Banana Bread Ingredients
How Ripe Should They Be? You want your bananas to be ripe with many black spots, this means they’re soft and full of sugars. You can peel them and freeze them to make banana bread at a later date too.
- To ripen bananas in 1-2 days: place them in a paper bag (with other ripe fruit if you have any) and seal.
- To ripen immediately, bake at 300°F for 15-20 minutes. Cool before using in this recipe.
Eggs & Oil
Eggs and oil add moisture to quick breads. In this recipe we replace some of the oil with mayonnaise (which is made of… eggs and oil)! While this may seem like a weird ingredient, as you can see from the reviews on this recipe, it produces a moist banana bread!
How to Make Banana Bread
This extra moist banana bread recipe is easy. Be sure not to overmix or it’ll be dense and chewy loaf instead a soft and moist banana bread.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl (per recipe below).
- Combine bananas (of course), mayonnaise and egg in a second bowl.
- Mix the two together just until moist.
- Pour into a greased pan and bake.
I make a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake which is to die for. If you have never had a bread or cake made with mayonnaise before, you MUST try it. Banana Bread with Mayonnaise? I know it may sound a little bit strange, but mayo is made of oil and eggs which are basically staple ingredients in this quick bread anyhow and will make this banana bread soft and moist.
Make It Extra Moist
Bananas add flavor and moisture to this loaf as does the mayonnaise. A few more favorite tips for this recipe:
- The batter is thick, do not add extra liquid.
- Avoid adding extra bananas, this can make the bread too dense.
- As with all quick breads, do not overmix. Stir just until incorporated.
- Do not overcook. Ovens can vary so check your bread at least 10 minutes before the time is up.
- Seal well once cooled (a freezer bag works well too).
You can add in pecan or walnuts or chocolate chips to this banana bread recipe. For easy removal, line the loaf pan with parchment paper leaving about 3 inches of paper folded over the top of the pan. Serve it with Whipped Strawberry Butter or Honey Butter.
How to Store Banana Bread
I much prefer to store this banana bread recipe on the counter at room temperature. How long does Banana Bread last? Banana bread should last about 3 days tightly sealed on the counter.
To FREEZE Banana Bread: Of course this easy banana bread freezes beautifully. You can either freeze the loaf as a whole or slice it and freeze the slices. To defrost a slice just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds or even just add it to the lunch box frozen, it’ll defrost in plenty of time for lunch!
Once you try it, this award-winning easy banana bread recipe will definitely be your go-to recipe!
Options and Add Ins
- Banana Nut Crunch Muffins – Nuts make a great addition to banana bread!
- Blueberries – Toss with a bit of flour before adding to the batter to keep evenly distributed
- Chocolate – It’s like dessert for breakfast!
- Chocolate Chip & Zucchini – Perfect for all of your summer zucchini
- Pecan Coconut Banana Bread Recipe – Flavorful favorite
Easy Banana Bread
This banana bread is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever tried. Not only is it quick and delicious, it turns out perfectly every single time! I add pecans but feel free to substitute your favorite nuts (like walnuts) or even add in chocolate chips.
- 3 Medium Bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or dressing)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
In a bowl mix together mashed bananas, mayo and egg. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and pecans
Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir just until combined. Note: The mixture will be very thick, do not over mix
Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.