Looking for an easy, Cheesy Broccoli Casserole recipe from scratch? I’ve got you covered. Tender broccoli florets smothered in an easy homemade cheese sauce and topped with buttery crumbs. This broccoli casserole is baked until golden and bubbly for the perfect side dish!
How to Make Broccoli Casserole
This casserole is as easy as 1,2,3!
- Boil or steam broccoli until tender crisp.
- Make the homemade cheese sauce (per recipe below) and toss with broccoli.
- Top with buttery crumbs and bake until golden and bubbly.
Using Frozen Broccoli
I’d highly recommend using fresh broccoli (or even cauliflower) in this recipe. In a pinch, it can be made with frozen broccoli however it will change the texture as frozen broccoli is much softer.
Defrost broccoli and drain very well to keep the sauce from getting watery. You’ll need about 8 cups of frozen broccoli.
You can swap out other veggies (cauliflower or asparagus) for some or all of the broccoli. Add in ham or leftover Chicken Breasts to make this a main dish.
Pasta or rice are great additions but do soak up some of the sauce so if you’re adding rice, I’d suggest using a Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe to get the best ratios.
Making it in Advance
Don’t worry about sacrificing texture or flavor because this broccoli bake will still look and taste great even if it’s made the day before!
To bake from the fridge don’t put the crumb mixture on top and bake 15 minutes and stir. Add crumb mixture and bake an additional 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Leftover Broccoli Casserole
To reheat broccoli casserole, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees. In the microwave reheat until heated through (the crumb may not stay as crisp this way).
As the cheese sauce is homemade, I would not recommend freezing this dish as dairy can change consistency when frozen.
More Amazing Uses For Broccoli
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw – great for potlucks!
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – a quick side dish
- How to Steam Broccoli – super easy!
- Beef and Broccoli – a delicious entree
- Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup – comfort food at its finest
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
This creamy broccoli and cheese casserole is pure comfort food and a delicious side dish for any meal!
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli* (cut into bite sized pieces (approx. 10 cups))
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion (diced)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup buttery crackers (coarsely crushed)
- 1/4 cup cheddar
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil broccoli in a large pot for 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain very well.
- In a saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Add in flour, salt & dry mustard, allow to cook 1 minute.
- Add milk a little bit at a time whisking after each addition until smooth. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir cream cheese until smooth.
Remove from heat and add in cheddar and parmesan cheeses. Toss with broccoli and pour into a 3qt baking dish.
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over broccoli cheese mixture. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
Fresh broccoli can be substituted with 2 pounds frozen broccoli, defrosted and well drained. Texture will be softer.