Chicken Lettuce Wraps are an easy option for a meal or an appetizer! Chicken, bell peppers, and green onions are tossed in a quick homemade sauce and served in a fresh crisp lettuce cup.
These are so much better (and healthier) than take-out!
Lettuce for Lettuce Wraps
Chicken lettuce wraps can be wrapped in any kind of lettuce but the following are my favorites:
- Butter Lettuce or Bibb Lettuce: has a great shape and won’t crack when folded but is soft so it can rip if you’re not careful
- Iceberg Lettuce: fresh, sturdy and crunchy. Can crack if you bend them.
To Prep the Lettuce
- Carefully separate the lettuce leaves and rinse and pat dry.
- Keep them whole, and if you must, slice off any white or hardy ends that won’t wrap well.
Lettuce can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance, patted dry and placed in a container or bag with a piece of paper towel.
How to Make Lettuce Wraps (Chicken)
With these lettuce wraps, it’s really all about the sauce! Feel free to add red pepper flakes or Sriracha for some heat!
Combine the sauce ingredients and whisk well.
Make a slurry by dissolving the cornstarch in a little bit of water and then add to the sauce mixture to thicken. Set the sauce aside.
Finely dice chicken, toss with cornstarch and refrigerate.
Cook garlic, ginger & green onions until fragrant. Add chicken and cook a few minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, including sauce and simmer until thickened.
To serve, scoop into a section of lettuce leaf and top with chopped peanuts, extra hoisin sauce, peanut dressing, or Sriracha!
What to Serve with Lettuce Wraps
The original PF Chang’s lettuce wraps are served on a bed of deep-fried rice noodles but we put out a huge plate of fresh healthy toppings instead:
- chopped nuts
Take-Out Favorites at Home
- Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Easy Beef Stir Fry
- Crispy Homemade Egg Rolls
- Egg Drop Soup
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Shrimp Lo Mein
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 chicken breasts diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced/grated
- 2 green onions sliced, whites & greens separated
- 8 oz water chestnuts diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- lettuce leaves iceberg or butter lettuce for serving
- toppings as desired
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce plus extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Combine diced chicken with cornstarch. Refrigerate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and the whites of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add water chestnuts, bell pepper and sauce. Simmer 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, place a scoop of the warm chicken filling in a lettuce leaf. Add desired toppings and drizzle with a little bit of hoisin sauce.
Recipe inspired by Food Network Magazine