No Bake Butterscotch Bars are the perfect fast summer treat! This easy recipe is made with marshmallows, cornflakes, coconut, and butterscotch chips.
No Bake Butterscotch Bars
We have enjoyed so many potlucks, summer BBQ’s and picnic’s lately, and let me tell you why this is the perfect dessert to bring on those occasions:
First of all, it’s so easy to make your kids could make them, or at least help! The ingredients are and process are both simple and inexpensive. Second, you can make these ahead of time!
I like to wrap each of the bars in a piece of plastic wrap and serve them in a basket so that party-goers can easily grab one to enjoy. The stay soft and delicious for 2-3 days, wrapped up tightly in plastic wrap.
How to make No Bake Butterscotch Bars:
- Add cereal, marshmallows, butterscotch chips, and toasted coconut to a large bowl.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a saucepan; stir in butterscotch chips.
- Pour over bowl with cereal and stir to coat.
- Press into 13×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper and sprinkle coconut flakes on top.
- Cool before removing from pan and cutting into bars.
How can I make these ahead of time?
These cereal bars can be made 1-2 days in advance. For best results, cut them, wrap them individually, and store them in an airtight container.
Ways to adapt this recipe:
- Swap the cereal (rice krispies, crushed chex, bran flakes, special k)
- Swap the chips (chocolate, peanut butter, white chocolate)
- Add nuts, M&M’s, or craisins
Storing and freezing:
More No Bake Dessert Recipes:
No Bake Butterscotch Bars
No Bake Butterscotch Bars are made with marshmallows, cornflakes, coconut, and butterscotch chips. This easy recipe is perfect for a fast summer treat.
- 8 cups corn flakes
- 16 oz bag miniature marshmallows (about 8 cups, divided)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 10 oz package butterscotch chips
- Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.
- Add to a large mixing bowl: cereal, 1 cup marshmallows, 1 cup butterscotch chips, toasted coconut (reserve a handful for sprinkling on top of the finished bars, if desired).
- Add butter to a large saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s almost melted, add the remaining marshmallows and stir well to coat in the butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until almost completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 cup of butterscotch chips. Stir well until smooth and, working quickly, pour over bowl with cereal and stir to coat.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Sprinkle coconut flakes on top, if desired. Cool for a few minutes before cutting into bars.
- For best results, store the bars wrapped individually in plastic wrap for up to 2 days.